South Africa's Internet Food Newspaper, Magazine and Blog

Know Your Ingredients Rss

Foods named after people, like Eggs Benedict, Melba Toast and Margherita Pizza.

If you are of an inquisitive disposition you will love this video from “Mental Floss” which explores the origin of some very popular dishes and who they are named after. For example German Chocolate Cake is not German at all, Eggs Benedict has it’s origins in a night of heavy drinking and the most common…

whats-inside-coffee 0

What’s inside a cup of coffee?

The most obvious ingredient is water, 98% of your regular cup of coffee but what makes up the other 2%? Wired magazine decided to find out and most of it is made up of ingredients you would struggle to pronounce and spell if they were not already in front of you. Things like 2-ethylphenol, dimethyl…